About Me

"Use every man after his desert, and who should 'scape whipping?"

Saturday 10 February 2024

Rest in peace, Damo, but your sound carries on, you crazy sound carrier

 Don't worry. I'm not reviving this moribund blog. But I'm not giving it a coup de grace either.

I just have to add at least one more post, just to remind myself, about that mysterious electric disruptive delightful soul Damo Suzuki who I just heard died yesterday aged 74.

When I think of Damo I think first of all the sound he caused to be created and to hum and sing around the planet. His own version of the never-ending tour, the Sound Carrier network - hopping across oceans and continents non-stop more or less since he left Can, what fifty years ago? 

He met up with music-makers and sound carriers - not always the same people - in big cities, small towns, remote villages, the network kept on swelling and vibrating and humming, and it all somehow seemed to be infused with Damo's cosmic sense of music - whatever music is - and I find it hard to separate that from the smile on his face as he made or listened or contributed to these sounds.

Last time I saw him was at Rough Trade East in London, what three or four years ago: and I curse myself for missing him on many other occasions at easy to reach locations. On that evening, where he was talking about his days on the publication of an autobiography of sorts, he also spoke a bit about his illnesses, which had been extremely serious. 

He had recovered, but was clearly feeling the reduction in energy that such events have on the toughest of souls. But it did not stop him crossing the planet, carrying with him some sort of burning magical musical energy which infected, inspired so many others young, old, every type.

Thanks Damo, we love you still!


No comments:

Post a Comment